The Knickerbocker Toy Company was founded around 1850 in Albany, New York and started out manufacturing educational toys, like alphabet blocks. The unusual name 'Knickerbocker' derived from the nickname for the citizens of New York. The name is a reference to the baggy trousers the original Dutch settlers wore.
The first bears ascribed to Knickerbocker are from around 1925, when the
company started to use permanent labels. The company was proud to produce high
quality toy animals and called them 'Animals of Distinction'. The Knickerbocker
bears were by far the best American bears from that period, but still quite
In 1968 the company moved to Middlesex, New Jersey. There, they imported the different parts from Korea, sown and all. At the end of the 1980's the company was closed down.
From around 1925, Knickerbocker started to use permanent labels. Usually the
labels were sown into the centre seam. From the late 1940's, a satin label 
was used with a small figure in a horseshoe with the words: 'Made under sanitary
laws', which meant that the plush and the stuffing was hygienic.